Defending champions Camperdown High and Gaynstead High senior teams remained unbeaten this season as both teams made it two from two in Group Two of the second round of the ISSA urban area schoolgirls netball competition, played at the Leila Robinson Courts on Wednesday. Both Camperdown and Gaynstead matches were called off after the third quarter due to rain. Both teams were leading at that stage, and based on ISSA’s netball rules, were declared the winners. Camperdown, led by goal shooter Idara McCarty and goal attack Ramona Lawrence, scored an easy 38-16 win over the previously unbeaten St. Catherine High Gaynstead got by Tarrant 37-14. JUNIORS TWO FROM TWO FOR NORMAN MANLEY – St Catherine vs Norman Manley – Queen’s vs Wolmer’s -Campion vs Holy Childhood -Papine vs St Hugh’s All four start at 2 p.m. – Camperdown vs Gaynstead – St Jago vs St Andrew Technical Both at 2:45 p.m. It was also two from two for Norman Manley High in Group One as their game was also called off after the third quarter. They were comfortably ahead of Immaculate High 31-10. In the only senior match to be completed on the day, former champions St Hugh’s High had a narrow 32-30 win over Tivoli for their first win in Group One. Two other matches will have to be replayed. Excelsior were leading Wolmer’s 20-9 and Queen’s were ahead of Penwood 10-1 when the games were halted by the rain at halftime. Defending junior champions Gaynstead continued their impressive form. They had a big 58-3 win to make it two from two in Group Two. St Hugh’s also picked up their second win in a row in the group after beating St Andrew Technical 25-23. In Group 1, St Catherine High whipped Wolmer’s Girls 25-12, and The Queen’s School easily beat Campion College 31-20, while it was a 29-29 tie between Holy Childhood and Norman Manley. The third set of matches in the second round will continue today at the Leila Robinson Courts. 2:45 p.m: Excelsior vs Norman Manley 2:45 p.m: Queen’s vs Wolmer’s 3:30 p.m: Camperdown vs Gaynstead 3:30 p.m: St Catherine vs Tivoli 3:45 p.m: Penwood vs Immaculate 3:45 p.m: Tarrant vs St Hugh’s – R.G. SENIORS
A man and his girlfriend are nursing stab wounds about their bodies after being attacked and stabbed by the woman’s ex-lover.Injured are 47-year-old Vanessa Julian, a waitress of Number 76 Housing Scheme and 48-year-old Garfield Richards, 48, a hirecar driver of Dukestown, Corriverton, Region Six (East Berbice/Corentyne).Reports are at about 23:10h on Friday night, the couple were inside Richards parked vehicle along Skeldon Public Road, Corentyne, Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), when the suspect approached them.This newspaper was told that a heated argument ensued between the attacker and the woman, who is his ex-lover. Moments after, the suspect is said to have stabbed his ex-lover and her new boyfriend before fleeing the scene.Police Regional Commander, Calvin Brutus when contacted told Guyana Times on Saturday that the injured man and woman were rushed to a medical facility near Skeldon by public-spirited persons. However, because of the extent of their injuries, they were transferred to the New Amsterdam Hospital.“They are both in a stable condition. It was public-spirited persons who notified us [Police] about the incident when it occurred and then the hospital also called us. We are unsure at this point, what the suspect used to stab the couple since no weapon was recovered at the crime scene. He is also still on the run, however, we are presently hunting for him,” Commander Brutus said.He also confirmed that reports received by the police are that the suspect was involved in a relationship with the female but the relationship ended a while ago. The woman subsequently moved on but the suspect was annoyed and resorted to following her.
Dan Crowley scores for Arsenal 1 Is this lad the future of Arsenal?The Gunners have brought through plenty of youngsters in their illustrious history and Dan Crowley will hope to follow in the footsteps of Charlie George, Liam Brady and Jack Wilshere by making the step up to the first team.At just 17 years old, there is plenty of time for midfielder Crowley to learn his trade, and he showed his potential with a stunning free-kick for the Arsenal U21s against Wolves this week.Coventry-born Crowley signed his first pro contract with the club in the summer of 2014, after joining from Aston Villa.Time will tell if he makes the grade at senior level, but he is ertainly one ot watch.CHECK OUT THE ALL-TIME ARSENAL HOME-GROWN XI HERE
Liverpool starlet Raheem Sterling is ‘nowhere near’ signing a new deal with the club, talkSPORT understands.There had been reports the young England attacker, 20, was close to agreeing a new deal at Anfield as Brendan Rodgers looks to keep him on Merseyside.But talkSPORT reporter Warren Haughton believes this is not the case, he told Drivetime: “There were suggestions he [Raheem Sterling] had agreed or was very close to extending his stay at Liverpool. My understanding is he is nowhere near agreeing a new contract with Liverpool.“They have been speaking for a good few months now and he has already turned down one contract offer and they are nowhere near agreeing any new contract at all.”
0Shares0000Alex Ferguson won the Premier League 13 times with Manchester United © AFP/File / Andrew YATESLONDON, United Kingdom, May 8 – Former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is sitting up and talking to his family following emergency surgery for a brain haemorrhage, media reports said Tuesday.Widely considered to be the most successful manager in the history of British football, Ferguson, 76, won 38 trophies in more than 26 years in charge of United, including 13 Premier League titles and the Champions League twice. Britain’s Mail Online said the Scot, who retired in 2013, was out of a coma and showing promising early signs of recovery following the haemorrhage on Saturday.“Surgery went very well and the 76-year-old’s response to treatment has given encouragement and cautious optimism to those close to him,” the report said.“However, they recognise it will still be a slow road to full recovery as he continues to be assessed.”“The prognosis is good and his closest friends in football are being kept abreast of any developments,” a source told The Sun newspaper.United midfielder Michael Carrick, who played under Ferguson, has spoken of the respect in which his former boss is held.“The whole football world is incredible but outside of that as well, from all corners of the globe and different walks of life, people have shown their support,” he told MUTV.“That’s the effect he had on people. It was the effect he had on everyone. He means a lot to me, as he does to this club.”“We were all praying for him and thinking of him, Cathy and the family,” said Carrick. “It’s a tough time for everyone but I’m thinking positive and hoping he will pull through.”United have thanked the many well-wishers, including Premier League managers Arsene Wenger, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp, who have spoke of their admiration for Ferguson.Wenger enjoyed a long, and at times fractious rivalry with Ferguson as they battled for Premier League supremacy in the first decade of the Frenchman’s long reign in charge of Arsenal.However, they later became friends and with Wenger leaving Arsenal at the end of the season, Ferguson presented his old adversary with a memento on his final visit to United’s Old Trafford ground just last weekend.“I was with him on the pitch last week. I went to see him in the box after the game and he looked in perfect shape,” said Wenger, after his final home game as Arsenal boss on Sunday.“He told me he is doing a lot of exercise, and he looked very happy but that kind of accident can happen. We wish him all well and to recover very quickly. He is a strong man and an optimistic man.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsIranian liberals had hoped that Ahmadinejad would not risk alienating a large sector of the young, who make up the majority of Iran’s 70 million population. But the draft law, which got preliminary approval in parliament last week, had many concerned. “It is a ridiculous bill. Young Iranian girls will not return to the so-called Islamic loose-fitting clothes,” said Sahar Gharakhani, a 25-year-old secretary wearing a colorful headscarf and a stylish jacket in Tehran on Saturday. “The only way for authorities to make this happen is if they force it,” she said. The social gains made in the past were often measured in hemlines and retreating headscarves. Laws in place since the 1979 Islamic Revolution require women to wear “chador” – a head-to-toe, loose-fitting black overcoat and veil that covers their hair and hides their shapes. They were enforced by religious police and paramilitaries, who castigated women who showed too much hair, wore makeup or had a chador that did not fit the required dark colors and shape. Under President Mohammad Khatami, elected in 1997, enforcement became lax, and women took advantage, adding color to their clothes, pulling back scarves and shortening their coats. Now on Tehran’s busy streets, only some women adhere to the strict code of the chador. Others are seen in scarves that leave almost their entire heads bare, showing blonde-highlighted hair, and bright-colored form-fitting jackets, called “manteaus,” that stop just under the waist, revealing jeans and sandaled feet with painted nails. The 13-article bill – which focuses on economic incentives for Islamic dress – has been touted by conservatives as a vital tool to curb Western influence in the conservative Islamic Republic. No date has been set yet on a final vote on the bill. “This bill brings no obligation, no imposition,” said Emad Afresh, an Iranian lawmaker. “It only requires the government to support the private sector,” he said, adding that it was a way to “resist the (Western) cultural onslaught in a world where globalization is being imposed.” The bill does not call for police or other bodies to enforce stricter styles of dress for women. Instead, it rallies state agencies to promote Islamic dress and “encourage the public to abstain from choosing clothes that aren’t appropriate to the culture of Iran,” according to the copy received from the parliament’s press office. It also would give economic incentives, including bank loans, to producers making Islamic-style clothing and impose tariffs on clothes imports. It leaves it to the Culture Ministry and others to define what Islamic dress means. On Friday, a Canadian newspaper, The National Post, quoting Iranian exiles, said the law would force Jews, Christians and other religious minorities to wear special patches of colored cloth to distinguish them from Muslims. The report drew a condemnation from the United States, which said such a law would carry “clear echoes of Germany under Hitler.” A copy of the draft law obtained by The Associated Press made no mention of religious minorities or any requirement of special attire for them, and the Post later posted an article on its Web site backing off the report. A crackdown on social mores could face stiff public resistance at a time when Iranians are more concerned with reviving the country’s ailing economy and the escalating confrontation with the West. Parvin Ardalan, a women’s activist and journalist in Tehran, said the government clearly aims “to fight the Western dress code.” “But I don’t think that they can just eliminate the Western dress altogether. It’s going to be very difficult.” Parvaneh Khedmati, a 22-year-old administrator in a clinic, said she opposes the bill, even though she already wears a conservative, all-covering chador that leaves only her face exposed. “I chose to wear a chador, I wasn’t forced,” she said. “The government has no right to impose anything this personal on the people. … It’s like a government telling people what to eat.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! TEHRAN, Iran – A draft law aimed at encouraging Islamic dress raised fears Saturday that Iran’s hard-line government plans to re-impose veils and head-to-toe overcoats on women who have shirked the restrictions for years, letting hair show and wearing jeans and shapely outfits. The looser social rules and dress codes are one of the few legacies left from Iran’s once-strong reform movement. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose election last summer spelled the virtual end of the reformists’ influence, came to office promising a return to Islamic values, with the support of clerical hard-liners. Ahmadinejad has purged reformers from government, angered the West with calls for Israel’s destruction and taken a tough line resisting U.N. demands that he curb Iran’s nuclear program.
Chelsea are reportedly preparing to make a move for Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski.The Premier League champions are in the market for a new striker with Diego Costa set to leave the club this summer.They had been keen on a deal for Romelu Lukaku but Blues chiefs are understood to be reluctant to meet Everton’s £100m asking price.Now they have turned their attention to Lewandowski, who is unhappy at Bayern.The Polish hitman accused boss Carlo Ancelotti and his teammates of not doing enough to help him finish the season as Bundesliga’s leading goalscorer.Lewandowski netted 30 Bundesliga goals last season as Bayern clinched the title but missed out on the golden boot to Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.His agent told Kicker: “Robert told me there was no support from the coach or an appeal to support him in the final game to become top scorer. He was really disappointed, like I have never experienced before.”Now Chelsea look set to offer the 28-year-old a way out of the Allianz Arena – although Roman Abramovich will have to spend big to convince Bayern to sell.Lewandowski is arguably the best number nine in world football.He has netted 110 goals in 147 appearances for Bayern since joining on a free transfer in 2014, having previously enjoyed a similarly prolific spell at Dortmund. Robert Lewandowski is on Chelsea’s radar 1
1 Liverpool have confirmed Emre Can’s expected departure after the Germany international’s contract expired.The 24-year-old rejected the offer of a new deal several months ago amid rumours he was destined for Juventus and his Anfield exit has now been announced. Can has been linked with a move to Juventus for much of the season Speculation about a move to the Serie A club intensified in the second half of the season and Turin now seems a likely destination for the midfielder.Also heading out of the door is academy graduate Jon Flanagan, who has played for the club just once in the last two seasons having had loan spells at Burnley and Bolton.Youth-team players Toni Gomes, Paulo Alves, Mich’el Parker, Jordan Williams, Anthony Glennon, Jordan Hunter and Harvey Whyte will also depart, while Yan Dhanda has already agreed a free transfer to Swansea.New contracts have been offered to under-23 duo George Johnston and Conor Masterson.A statement published on Liverpool’s official website read: “Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks all departing players for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck for the future.”
Fulham are reportedly set to beat Everton to the signing of out-of-contract Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega.The Daily Mirror say Aston Villa and Stoke were also in the frame to sign the Colombian, while The Sun claim Celtic were keen on him.Meanwhile, QPR face competition from Liverpool for the signing of Celtic star Ki Sung-Yueng, according to The Sun.It is claimed that Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers is planning to offer £7m for the 23-year-old South Korean in a bid to beat R’s manager Mark Hughes to his signature.Rubin Kazan, Deportivo La Coruna and a number of German clubs are also said to be interested. This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
14 November 2006The Limpopo Tourism and Parks Board is to commercialise facilities in 15 of its nature reserves in order to create jobs and boost conservation and tourism in the province.Limpopo Tourism and Parks marketing director Khorommbi Matibe said the provincial government owned 54 protected areas whose tourism potential had not been optimally developed.Four of these are to be commercialised by the end of the 2006/07 financial year:Masebe Nature Reserve A 4 500 hectare reserve situated in the eastern Waterberg some 75km north of Mokopane. Encompasses the picturesque Waterberg mountain formation and a number of bushveld landscape rock art sites. Forms part of the Waterberg Biosphere, an initiative that allows communities, authorities and commercial concerns to become joint stakeholders in the conservation and development of the area. Existing facilities include luxurious accommodation, conference facilities, hiking trails and picnic sites.Makuya Park Nature ReserveA massive reserve in the north-western region of the Kruger National Park. Incorporated with the Kruger National Park, the reserve is home to big game such as buffalo and elephant. Existing facilities include a tented camp set on the Pafuri River.Musina Nature ReserveA 4 910-hectare reserve situated 10km south of the town of Musina. Boasts a high concentration of baobab trees and numerous species of game. An outstanding feature of the reserve is the presence of the oldest rock formations in the world: the Sand River gneiss, estimated by geologists to be 3 800 million years old. Existing facilities include a bush camp, guest house, hiking trails and picnic sites.Rust de Winter Nature ReserveA 1 650 hectare reserve situated within an hour’s drive north from Gauteng province’s major metropolitan centres. Boasts a wide variety of landscapes and habitats – including the 500 hectare Rust de Winter Dam – that support 400 bird species and a range of antelope.For more information on these and other reserves to be commercialised, see: Limpopo Tourism & Parks: commercialisation of tourism on nature reserves Matibe said that private investors would enter into concession agreements with Limpopo Tourism and Parks, and could choose whether to develop and operate accommodation facilities, put together adventure packages or set up other recreational activities.“Accommodation and conference facilities need to be built, and those reserves that do have these facilities need private companies to take over management and marketing to make them profitable,” he said.SouthAfrica.info reporter and BuaNews Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material